Pages

July 20, 2013

Plum-wine "Highlights!!!"

Hi all!

As I was browsing through the #naturalhair hashtag on Instagram, I ran across some photos of naturallytash, a girl with gorgeous colored curls. If you've been following my blog, you'll know that colored curls is something I've wanted to play with, but something I've avoided for multiple reasons: high costs of getting it done professionally, maintenance of uncolored roots, commitment to a color for an extended amount of time, and the damage the harsh chemicals can cause to my own natural locks. I toyed with the idea of temporary color, but many of them require that you bleach your hair in order for the lighter colors to show through. So when I learned exactly how naturallytash achieved her gorgeous colors, I was ecstatic! 

Her secret is this: she uses eyeshadows and blushes to add temporary color to her hair! Yes, you heard correctly: eyeshadows and blushes. She even coined the term "hairshadowing" to describe her method. I found her on YouTube under the moniker "TashNaturally" and watched her tutorial at this link:

Then I had my boyfriend run out to the store and buy me 2 different cream blush colors.
I used  Maybelline Dream Bouncy blush in "Plum Wine."
Disclaimer: I do not own this image. 


The end result was pretty and subtle purpley highlights throughout my hair:




Day 2:

I am in love!
My mind is going nuts coming up with other colors I want to try: blue tips, blonde highlights and lowlights. I can't wait to keep experimenting. This is exactly the sort of solution I longed for; something easy on the wallet, pleasing to the eye, and non-damaging to my hair! I love that it will come out as soon as I wash it because all I want is to try different things and have fun with color over the summer. =)
Thanks naturallytash

4 comments:

  1. Will wonders never cease. I am actually surprised that I like this as much as I do. This looks really wonderful on you. I might have to hip my daughter to this interesting technique. I bet she wants to play with color, too. Off to watch the YT video now. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I love this idea! It's awesome & damage-free! =)

      Delete
  2. I hope this isnt a stupid question...how is your whole head of (gorgeous) hair purple on day two? did it bleed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a stupid question at all! For starters, the lighting helped it look more purple than it was! Lol..when I'm out in the sun, the color really pops. Also, yes, the color "bleeds" to more strands than you start out with for a more full-coverage look than the initial streaky-look you get.

      Delete